Pages

04 November 2013

Plans, Part Deux: Lower Half

So, in this next installment (only a while later.  See, I don't always make you wait :) ), we'll visit the lower half of the house.  Without further ado...

Library

Ahh, the library.  We actually have one--even if most of the books in it are geared towards teenage/preteen girls. It is also the media room.  Like I mentioned in the last post, I hope to move the TV from here to the attic.  This would include all sound-type items and game systems.  I think this may be the best room for my office.  This room just mostly needs new doorknobs for the east door.  There is a bigger crack in the ceiling than most of the cracks in the house.

Back Entry

This was the laundry room.  It is a very awkward, disappointing room.  It's hard to furnish or organize.  Moving the plumbing for the utility tub/washer will help immensely but probably take forever.  We are definitely not plumbers.  The drain needs something; we are not even sure it is a drain, but it is in the middle of the floor anyway.  the dryer vent needs to be patched up.  The wiring or electrical boxes should be moved.  The radiator needs to be bled.  Really, I have a hard time even thinking of this room.  For a long while, it housed laundry that was not done for months and the new dog.  I temporarily moved her upstairs after I bought her a home (read: cage) because I wanted a mudroom and realized I couldn't if she was in it chewing up everything.  However, her home was in the way upstairs in the hall, so back down she went today.  I really don't want the dog to have a room of her own (unless it is in the garage), but for now, she gets it.

Basement

It needs a lot of work and a dehumidifier.  So, very quickly, I want food storage, decoration storage and and excise room down there. Oh, and we need to do something with the cistern.

Kitchen

The room I hate most.  I really do not want to hate it as I would like to use it more.  It is kind of big, but it really is not.  The walls and ceiling need some patching.  The double oven needs to be installed.  In fact, cabinetry on the south wall of the kitchen to house the ovens and fridge would be nice.  As much as I would like to keep the cabinets, I think the lower north/northeast cabinets have to go.  I think under the sink, it is rotten after the leaking sink (which, YAY!, is fixed).  I hope to have a deck or back porch someday, so I hope to replace the little window with a door.  Our help with plumbing never returned, so we need to somehow install the dishwasher.  I would love to not have one, but we do not do dishes well as it is.  The island around it needs to be made.  I want to repaint the built ins and uppers (after moving them up) and put in stained glass at the top.  I also want to have rosemaling on the faces of the cabinets.  We need new flooring.  After tearing up the old last fall, waiting to finish because I thought we would have the winter to work in it (but did not after losing heat four times), thinking we would refinish the sub-floor, we finally put down some linoleum.  It is not pretty but it is not gross like it was before.  I would not even go in that room unless I absolutely had to before the linoleum.  Maybe I would like to install a cooktop as well as the range.  I may save one of them for the outdoor kitchen I hope to have. 

Dining Room

 This room is okay.  The swinging door needs fixing and the flooring needs refinishing. 

Eric's Office

This room was part of the porch at one time.  I would like to put doors out to the porch, but that may make it unusable on the west side.  It needs some insulation and cutening up.  The windows do not remotely match the rest of the house.  Unless I can get him in the attic, library or even outside, I had always hoped this would be my room.  However, it has been proven that we still cannot keep the kids out of it (not that the doors are closed that often anyway).  It also needs a radiator. 

Living Room

The lower half of the turret is part of this room.  The fireplace needs some repairing and a flue.  I would like the turret bench to open for blanket storage.  There is some water damage, but I think it is mostly paint bubbles. 

Bathroom

Man.  The upstairs sewer line runs right down the  middle of the room.  It is big and awkward in regards to the toilet.  We used to say it was a side-saddle toilet, but Eric turned it, so it is easier to use now.  I guess there used to be a shower where some of the cabinets are.  I am really curious about it.  The only thing that holds me back from tearing out the cabinet (which I don't think is in there all that well anyway), is knowing that I will not finish either putting the cabinet back or whatever I decided to do.  If we keep the cabinet, I'd probably move it a bit.  I would like to replace the tub.  If it would be then possible (assuming there is not a load-bearing wall), maybe expand the south wall of the kitchen a bit.  We could, really, make the bathroom down there tiny (since it wasn't original to the house anyway), and expand the kitchen even more to make a eating nook.  Plumbing is just always an issue whether is be installing, removing or dealing with existing pipes. 

Main Entry

Little. The closet needs some work after the upstairs plumbing job that the previous owners did.  The front door needs to be fixed after the glass was broken when we had a break-in.

In our next installment (which may take a while), we then visit outside our home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment